About the Education and Training Inspectorate
The Education and Training Inspectorate provides inspection services for a number of organisations. These include the Department of Education, the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, the Department of Employment and Learning, the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure and Criminal Justice Inspection Northern Ireland.
Inspection Services Branch provides the Education and Training Inspectorate with administrative support in the work it carries out.
The Chief Inspector of the Education and Training Inspectorate is Noelle Buick.
Our Mission Statement
‘Promoting improvement in the interest of all learners.’
‘The Education and Training Inspectorate will be a highly regarded and influential organisation, dedicated fully to the education and well-being of all learners.’
- To promote openness and transparency in all of the work undertaken.
- To ensure that all those who are inspected are aware of the processes, protocols, standards and performance indicators adopted by the Education and Training Inspectorate.
- To ensure that no organisation is uncertain about the nature and purpose of inspection.
Our Principles, Values and Standards
- Recognition that the key priority must be the interests and well-being of the learners, in terms of the quality of education and training which they experience, and the outcomes they achieve.
- Objectivity and consistency in making evaluations, honesty in communicating findings, and openness in ensuring that evaluations reflect accurately the organisation’s achievements.
- Concern for accuracy, and reliance, in the main, on first-hand evidence based on observation.
- Fairness in dealing with individuals and groups.
- Sensitivity to the circumstances of the organisation, and tact and courtesy towards all with whom the inspector(s) come(s) into professional contact.
- Minimising stress by ensuring that queries are answered promptly and concerns dealt with within a measurable timescale.
- Sensitivity to the effect on others of evaluations and reports, but without compromising the principles, values and standards set out above.
Further information about the Education and Training Inspectorate can be found in the links below.